Top 10 Things to do in Melbourne
1. The food! Melbourne has such a great variety of restaurants with many great locations packed with choice. From the city centre, Chinatown, Lygon Street and the many suburbs have countless great restaurants to choose from. Check out our Melbourne Restaurant Guide.
2. Go Shopping. Melbourne is Australia's shopping capital.
3. See a live event at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) locally referred to as 'The G'. It's best to see a big event like an AFL (Aussie Rules games) or a Cricket match at the MCG with a capacity crowd of 100,000 people. When there aren't events on you can still go along for a tour of the MCG facilities.
4. Take a tram ride. Melbourne has an extensive tram network to take you to all corners of Melbourne. If you are driving in Melbourne beware, the trams always have the right of way. There is a free tram service on the city circle looping around the Melbourne CBD and Docklands.
5. Visit Melbourne Aquarium, located on the Yarra River directly across from the Crown Entertainment Complex. Melbourne Aquarium has on display thousands of marine animals including penguins, sharks, stingrays, moray eels and a giant pacific octopus. There are dive experiences for your opportunity to swim face to face with the sharks.
6. Visit St Kilda Beach, located on Port Phillip Bay with great cafes, restaurants and the amusement park Luna Park.
7. Visit Docklands, just 10 minutes by tram from the centre of Melbourne CBD, this used to be real working docks though now transformed into one of Melbourne's highlights. With great restaurants, cafes, bars and parklands to walk around and relax.
8. Visit Melbourne Zoo with animals on display from all around the world.
9. Visit Captain Cook's Cottages located in Fitzroy Gardens just 10 minutes from the city centre.
10. Do a day trip to Phillip Island just 1.5 hours drive from Melbourne to see the Fairy Penguins, Koala Conservation Park and lots of Kangaroos and Wallabies.